Thursday, January 30, 2014

Getting Ready for Kidding!

Miss Emma is due to kid around February 26th, so that means its time to get the kidding kit ready!

I use a tool box for my kidding kit. Its sturdy enough for the barn and keeps everything handy, clean and well organized.  I also have the phone number for the vet inside the cover of the box.

Here's what I keep in my kit...



(1) Lamb and kid colostrum powder -- just in case the kid(s) can't get that vital colostrum directly from mom.
(2) Nasal aspirator -- to clean noses and throats immediately after birth
(3) Electrolytes -- just in case kids get scours or aren't thriving
(4) Rubbing alcohol - to clean scissors before trimming or cutting the ambilicle cord
(5) Film bottle with iodine in it - works great to dip the cord in
(6) Surgical scissors - to cut the cord
(7) Dental floss - to tie the cord
(8) Pritchard nipples - just in case the doe can't or won't feed her kids and I have to bottle feed



(9) OB lube - in case I have to "go in" and help with a delivery
(10) Drencher - in case a kid needs to be force fed
(11) Betodyne or Iodine - to disinfect the cord
(12) OB gloves - these are the long ones that go up to your armpit... again, in case I have to "go in"
(13) Stethoscope -- for obvious reasons, but also good to have to check for rumen sounds in a sick goat
(14) Disposable gloves -- cause lets face it, kidding can be messy, and I like to keep it clean!



(15) "Wee Wee Pads" -- these are those disposable pads you put down to house break a puppy.  They are great to put down as the kid is being born.  They are absorant and provide and clean spot for mom to give birth
(16) Garbage bag(s) -- to clean up all the mess after kidding
(17) Towels (not shown) -- to dry off the kid after birth



(18) Small dog sweater -- to keep babies warm in super cold weather
(19) Hairdryer -- to help warm and dry wet kids after birth in very cold weather


Luckily, my girls have never had any kidding problem so I've never had to use a lot of these items.  But I feel better knowing that, God forbid, they ever should have any problems, I'll be ready and able to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment