Sunday, June 16, 2013

Rotational Pasture Complete!


I've finally completed cross fencing the pasture area so that the does and buck(s) each have two pasture areas to rotate between. Luckily I've never had a parasite load and the goats have never tested positive for worms of any kind. And I sure would like to keep it that way.


Rotational Grazing Plan - click to enlarge

Hence, the installation of rotational grazing. Apparently parasites can only survive 1 month without a host, so every 30 days the goats will rotate pastures. Not only does it greatly reduce the chance of infestation, the pasture gets to rest and isn't over grazed. I'm also going to take this opportunity to improve the pasture areas by sowing high quality forage for them. I'm hoping all this effort will result in happy, healthy goats and lowered feed costs.

Actually I tried to do this last year with electric fencing. Despite 5 strands of electrified wire, they never learned to respect the electric fence. So this year I put in cattle panels to keep everyone where they belong. No unplanned breedings for me!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment