Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Loooong Overdue Update On My Broody Buttercup

I don't know what happened with me keeping this little blog up.  Chalk it up to an Epic Fail!  But I don't give up easily, so I'm gonna give it another try. 

Anyhoo, let's get back to Miss Broody Buttercup.  I let her try to brooding a clutch of eggs back in January, but nobody hatched :(  I don't know who was more disappointed, me or Buttercup.  That silly chicken really wanted to be a momma and was very reluctant to stop brooding, even after 45 days.  After I was sure nobody was going to hatch, I reluctantly opened the eggs.  All had developed to about the 2 week mark, but had died after that.  I think it was just too cold, despite a very dedicated wanna be mamma.  

Like me, Miss Buttercup doesn't give up easily and come spring, she was back at it.  I gave her 10 eggs to sit on and exactly 21 days later 11 chicks hatched.  No, that wasn't a typo... I gave her 10 and 11 chicks hatched.  I was pretty certain I counted correctly, so I can only guess I had a little "helper" slip her an extra egg when I wasn't looking.  Anyway, I'm just so impressed that she went from a 0% success rate to a 100% success rate! 



Oh boy, is she a happy hen now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment