Friday, March 21, 2014

Resolutions Update

Recently I posted about how my goal this year was to learn how to disbud the kids.  I'm happy to report that we all survived my first disbudding experience.

The little buckling's buds started popping out at only three days old.  With hubby in tow for moral support, I got through it.  It was nerve racking at first, but luckily it was over quickly and no one seems worse for the wear.

An important note, however, is that when I received my Reinhart X-30 disbudding iron, the directions were very clear that the iron should only be applied for a count of 3 - 5 seconds and NOT the 10-12 seconds as recommended in the video I linked to.  Most all the videos and research I came across said it should be applied for at least a 10 count, but erring on the side of caution I decided to follow the directions for my specific iron.  Then it's "fingers crossed" that I did a good job and no scurs develop.

The little girls buds started appearing at about 9 days old.  This time, with no assistance, I did it all by myself! Phew!  The disbudding box did a great job of holding her securely so that I could concentrate on doing a good job. Glad I got that experience under my belt!


No comments:

Post a Comment